By Brian Fogg
Heavyweight Contender and former Bronze Medalist, Deontay Wilder 28(28)-0 was arrested late Saturday night in Las Vegas and was charged with a Felony Domestic Battery via Strangulation (choking) and was released on $15,000 bail later that day. He had a scheduled arraignment yesterday, 5/6, at 7:30 am in the Clark County Justice Court (which is the equivalent of a Circuit Court in most States) to which they scheduled his Preliminary Hearing to take place on July 3rd at 8:00 am and Steven Wilson will be the prosecutor assigned to the case.
The prosecutors office is still reviewing the case and has not decided at this moment what they will do with it going into the future.
Meanwhile Wilder will be defended by Tuscaloosa Attorney, Paul Patterson who says “This is a misunderstanding. Deontay believed the victim was stealing and acted instinctively. He has since apologized to the victim and they have accepted his apology. This story is not as juicy as it seems and we hope to have this worked out shortly.”
They will be having a conference later this afternoon to share this with the rest of the media.
Wilder’s trainer, Jay Deas, told me that “That’s not how Deontay is. I’m sure this will all be sorted out. ”
Golden Boy Promotions was unfamiliar with the incident when I called in this morning and have not been in touch with Wilder since it happened. In other words they are unable to make a comment regarding this at this moment.
Wilder is coming off the biggest win of his career last week in a 1st round demolition of Audley Harrison in Sheffield, England. Right now he is considered one of the best American Heavyweight prospects and has been mentioned as a possible opponent for Wladimir Klitschko down the road.
We must remember that Wilder is under the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.